Welcome to Main Street Preps 2.0.
I’m excited to lead our high school sports media brand as we revamp our efforts to provide top-notch local coverage in Middle Tennessee.
As you may know, local news has struggled in the digital age. The internet upended the industry, forcing many outlets to close or significantly reduce their coverage of local news. High school sports are often put on the backburner as understaffed outlets struggle to keep up.
But not at Main Street Media of Tennessee. We zig while others zag. Our company was built on the idea that local news matters, and advertisers and readers have agreed. We have continually invested resources to provide coverage of nine counties across the Midstate (and one in Southern Kentucky).
That is why, even in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have decided to expand our high school sports coverage.
Here are some of the things coming to Main Street Preps this school year:
- a five-day per week high school sports newsletter delivered to your inbox: Sign up HERE
- a weekly Main Street Preps podcast and other county-specific shows
- a rebranded website with a renewed emphasis on the digital product
- increased coverage of Middle Tennessee areas where we do not currently have county-wide newspapers, including Davidson and Williamson counties
- enhanced coverage of high school state championships in all sports
All of that is in addition to what we were already doing:
- breaking news, features, game coverage and photo galleries on MainStreetPreps.com every day
- hyperlocal weekly sports sections in Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Robertson, Rutherford, Sumner and Wilson counties
- occasional columns and insight pieces from our full-time staff of seven sports reporters/editors
- the Main Street Preps Top 25 poll, ranking the best football teams every week in the fall
- high school football preview magazines published in each of our newspapers every August
Main Street Preps promises to deliver engaging content that every high school sports supporter can enjoy, whether you are an athlete, coach, fan, parent, out-of-town family member or teacher.
If you’re already sold on Main Street Preps, consider signing up for the free newsletter mentioned above (it will launch Tuesday, Aug. 25). If not, give us some time. High school sports ramp up in the next few weeks and we’ll be covering them.
See you at the games (with a mask on, of course),
Russell Vannozzi, Main Street Preps editor
Russell Vannozzi was previously the sports editor for The Robertson County Connection, one of 12 local newspapers published by Main Street Media of Tennessee. He began freelancing with the company at age 16 and graduated from Lipscomb University in 2019. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org or reach him on Twitter (@RussellV_MSP).